The following is a press release from the Ministry of Education:
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, 10 October 2020. The Ministry of Education, Youth Sports, Agriculture and Lands (MEYSAL) have activated their planned response measures in line with the current Public Health COVID-19 protocols following the Chief Medical Officer’s report of the COVID-19 test results for the school staff, students and their household members of the three Year 2 classes at Red Bay Primary School (RBPS) yesterday. The Department of Education Services (DES), who holds responsibility for the operations of Government schools, are leading the charge in ensuring all protocols are being followed accordingly.
“Since receiving notification that one of our students had tested positive for COVID-19, we immediately activated a series of planned responses from our Continuity of Operations Plan for our schools. This plan provides a strategic and phased approach of measures to be implemented in response to all possible scenarios of COVID-19 suspected or confirmed cases, whether in our schools or the wider community. In consultation with Public Health authorities, our staff have been on the ground at RBPS to oversee the delivery of the appropriate measures and to provide support and guidance where needed.” assured Acting Director of Education Services, Ms. Tammy Banks – DaCosta.
Here is a summary of DES’ response measures in response to the Red Bay Primary (RBPS):
- Upon notification of the possible COVID-19 case of a RBPS Year 2 student, all students and teachers in the Year 2 classes were contained in class bubbles.
- Parents/guardians of all RBPS Year 2 students were contacted to attend the school to await screening by Public Health.
- Public Health attended the school and conducted testing to the above.
- Some parents from other year groups opted to take their children home as a precautionary measure (292 students went home out of the 437 total student body)
- An official letter of notification was sent via email to all parents of RBPS which included previous correspondence sent to all parents on 4 March 2020 reminding parents/guardians of the COVID 19 symptoms and prevention practices as well as contact information in case of any queries/concerns.
- RBPS was directed to cancel all after school programmes on 9 October.
- In addition to the current daily cleaning protocols for all schools, a further deep cleaning of the entire RBPS school has been completed.
- All teachers, students and the household members of the RBPS Year 2 classes are to isolate for 14 days starting from 2 October 2020.
- Families will be supported by the school counsellor and other staff in the days ahead.
- RBPS will continue to adhere and follow the COVID 19 safety measures which were implemented in all government schools at the beginning of the school term.
- RBPS will recommence school lessons and after school programmes on Monday, 13 October 2020 for all students except for the three Year 2 classes of students and teachers who will remain in isolation until they receive clearance to return to school from Public Health. Those Year 2 students in isolation will receive lessons via remote learning.
To find the release online click here: https://www.gov.ky/news/press-release-details/education-officials-implement-covid-19-protocols-in-schools