However, I would like to highlight a few of our objectives that I believe are crucial to the future success of education. These are:
- Introduction of a new governance model that will allow parents more say and involvement in their children’s education;
- Implementation of a new high school curriculum in the fall of 2021;
- Completion of the JGHS redevelopment and expansion;
- Introduction of early childhood education programs in public schools; and,
- Continued development of TVET programs in public schools. I am advocating for the expansion of the CIFEC program to include an additional year that would allow leaving students to obtain external certifications (such as City and Guilds of London Institute).
Our manifesto also speaks to a number of measures that will further improve standards in education and build on work readiness and encouraging digital literacy across all grade levels.
- Every child being taught in a public school rated ‘good’ or better by the school inspector reports by the end of the 4 year term;
- Amplify career guidance and create awareness earlier for students;
- Expand internship programs; and,
- Invest in technology related training and increase access to digital literacy programs.
Reforming early years education and the development of a new strategy for children under 5 is of particular interest to me. When kids are given the best possible support in their early years, learning is a positive experience and they develop a positive attitude toward school.
***Editor’s Note: We are inviting all candidates to submit their education platforms for publication in the Cayman Current. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.***