Address: 223A Shamrock Rd, Red Bay, Grand Cayman
Key Contact: Ms. Janice Headley
Inspection Date: April 2021
Overall Rating: Good
Type of School: Public
Number of Students: 120
% Caymanian Students: 86%
% Special Education Needs: 100%
Number of Teachers: 15
Number of Support Staff: 34
Student-Teacher Ratio: 8 : 1
Student-Staff Ratio: 2.4 : 1
Age of Students: 5 to 17 years
Annual Cost Per Student: $30,182
OES Inspection Reports:
- Full Inspection Report, April 2021
- Full Inspection Report, February 2019
- Summary Inspection Report, February 2019
- Lighthouse School achieves ‘Good’ rating again (June 1, 2021) - The Lighthouse School was rated 'Good' by Office of Education Standards inspectors for the second time.
- Minister for Education Tours Several Schools (May 28, 2021) - Education Minister Juliana O’Connor-Connolly embarked on a three-day ministerial tour of some government schools on Grand Cayman in mid-May.
- Crowded classrooms or empty hallways? A Current analysis of public school enrolment and capacity (March 15, 2021) - Grand Cayman’s public secondary schools are at more than 90% of their maximum capacity, meaning that they could accommodate fewer than 200 additional students who wish to enrol.
- Chamber forum: Major differences on education emerge among Prospect candidates (March 11, 2021) - Incumbent Austin Harris and challenger Sabrina Turner focussed on parental involvement and vocational training, while challenger Michael Myles addressed a number of issues, including governance structure, the cost of school capital projects, early childhood education and the practice of social promotion.
- FOI response: DES provides updated numbers of special education students, spending (February 24, 2021) - More than 10% of Cayman Islands public school students have significant special education needs. In the month of January, government paid more than $110,000 for SEN assistance from private contractors.
*Editor's Note: Information sources include Office of Education Standards, Office of Auditor General, school website, communication with school, and/or other sources such as Cayman Parent or Cayman Resident. We strive to keep information as current as possible (i.e. tuition, number of students, etc.) but this is subject to change. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with comments, corrections or updates.*Last Updated on 1 June 2021