Address: 223A Shamrock Rd, Red Bay, Grand Cayman
Key Contact: Ms. Janice Headley
Inspection Date: April 2021
Overall Rating: Good
Type of School: Public
Number of Students: 120
% Caymanian Students: 86%
% Special Education Needs: 100%
Number of Teachers: 15
Number of Support Staff: 34
Student-Teacher Ratio: 8 : 1
Student-Staff Ratio: 2.4 : 1
Age of Students: 5 to 17 years
Annual Cost Per Student: $30,182
OES Inspection Reports:
- Full Inspection Report, April 2021
- Full Inspection Report, February 2019
- Summary Inspection Report, February 2019
- Many of Cayman’s teachers ‘exhausted’, ‘burnt out’ by COVID pandemic (April 8, 2022) - Teaching in the Cayman Islands during the COVID-19 pandemic has been, in a word, ‘exhausting’. Many of the country's teachers say their current workloads are simply not sustainable, according to school inspectors' reports.
- Extra efforts during COVID have Lighthouse School staff feeling ‘beyond exhausted’ (April 6, 2022) - Staff at the specialist Lighthouse School have found creative ways during the pandemic to serve their students, all of whom have moderate to profound Special Education Needs and/or Disabilities. However, the additional workload related to COVID has left staff feeling 'beyond exhausted', a school inspector said.
- Ministry of Education (MOE) Celebrates the Lighthouse School’s ‘Good’ Rating (June 21, 2021) - Education Minister Juliana O'Connor-Connolly hosted a special assembly at the Lighthouse School to celebrate its ‘Good’ rating in the April 2021 Office of Education Standard inspection.
- Lighthouse School achieves ‘Good’ rating again (June 1, 2021) - The Lighthouse School was rated 'Good' by Office of Education Standards inspectors for the second time.
- Minister for Education Tours Several Schools (May 28, 2021) - Education Minister Juliana O’Connor-Connolly embarked on a three-day ministerial tour of some government schools on Grand Cayman in mid-May.
*Editor's Note: Information sources include Office of Education Standards, Office of Auditor General, school website, communication with school, and/or other sources such as Cayman Parent or Cayman Resident. We strive to keep information as current as possible (i.e. tuition, number of students, etc.) but this is subject to change. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with comments, corrections or updates.*Last Updated on 1 June 2021