Back to the Schools Explorer homepage
Address: Town Hall Rd, West Bay, Grand Cayman
Key Contact: Mrs. Jovanna Wright
Inspection Date: November 2020
Overall Rating: Satisfactory
Type of School: Public
Number of Students: 505
% Caymanian Students: 92%
% Special Education Needs: 30%
Number of Teachers: 55
Number of Support Staff: 27
Student-Teacher Ratio: 9.2 : 1
Student-Staff Ratio: 6.2 : 1
Age of Students: 4 to 11 years
Annual Cost Per Student: $7,094
OES Inspection Reports:
- Beyond the classroom: Cayman schools respond to COVID’s impact on students, families (June 5, 2022) - The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on Cayman Islands schools are not limited to what occurs in the classroom – or via remote learning.
- Many of Cayman’s teachers ‘exhausted’, ‘burnt out’ by COVID pandemic (April 8, 2022) - Teaching in the Cayman Islands during the COVID-19 pandemic has been, in a word, ‘exhausting’. Many of the country's teachers say their current workloads are simply not sustainable, according to school inspectors' reports.
- At John Cumber, focus on mental wellness of all and ‘up-skilling’ of teachers and parents (April 1, 2022) - Unlike teachers at many other schools, staff at Sir John A. Cumber Primary School did not report feeling "over-stretched" by additional duties during the pandemic, a school inspector said.
- Clifton Hunter High School Holds Fourth Annual Mathematics Championship (March 20, 2022) - Students from nine schools across Grand Cayman converged on Clifton Hunter High School to participate in the fourth annual CHHS Mathematics Competition.
- Minister for Education Tours Several Schools (May 28, 2021) - Education Minister Juliana O’Connor-Connolly embarked on a three-day ministerial tour of some government schools on Grand Cayman in mid-May.
*Editor’s Note: Information sources include Office of Education Standards, Office of Auditor General, school website, communication with school, and/or other sources such as Cayman Parent or Cayman Resident. We strive to keep information as current as possible (i.e. tuition, number of students, etc.) but this is subject to change. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with comments, corrections or updates.*Last Updated on 15 February 2021