Address: 10 East West End Road, Cayman Brac
Key Contact: Paul Samuel
Inspection Date: May 2021
Overall Rating: Satisfactory
Type of School: Public
Number of Students: 66
% Caymanian Students: 86%
% Special Education Needs: 44%
Number of Teachers: 9
Number of Support Staff: 6
Student-Teacher Ratio: 7.3 : 1
Student-Staff Ratio: 4.4 : 1
Age of Students: 4 to 11 years
Annual Cost Per Student: $13,349
OES Inspection Reports:
- Full Inspection Report, May 2021
- Full Inspection Report, January 2019
- Summary Inspection Report, January 2019
- Data Report 2021: Performance varies greatly among public primary schools (May 3, 2022) - The level of student performance varies significantly among Cayman Islands public primary schools, with differences in results only partly explained by assessments of students’ pre-existing “thinking abilities”, according to the Education Data Report 2021.
- Many of Cayman’s teachers ‘exhausted’, ‘burnt out’ by COVID pandemic (April 8, 2022) - Teaching in the Cayman Islands during the COVID-19 pandemic has been, in a word, ‘exhausting’. Many of the country's teachers say their current workloads are simply not sustainable, according to school inspectors' reports.
- West End Primary students make academic progress, staff ‘overwhelmed’ by rapid pace of change (March 31, 2022) - Most students at West End Primary School continued to make academic progress during the pandemic, an inspector said. However, some staff said they were 'overwhelmed and disheartened' by the rapid pace in which changes and new initiatives were being introduced at the Cayman Brac school.
- West End Primary still ‘Satisfactory’ (June 10, 2021) - West End Primary School retained its overall rating of 'Satisfactory' in its recent inspection, with grades increasing in some individual categories and declining in others.
- Analysis: Student performance varies widely at public primary schools (May 3, 2021) - How prepared a student is for high school could depend on which public primary school they attend.
*Editor's Note: Information sources include Office of Education Standards, Office of Auditor General, school website, communication with school, and/or other sources such as Cayman Parent or Cayman Resident. We strive to keep information as current as possible (i.e. tuition, number of students, etc.) but this is subject to change. Please contact email@example.com with comments, corrections or updates.*Last Updated on 14 September 2021